As you may have noticed by now I am a huge fan of cinnamon. I use it over my oatmeal porridge or over my greek yoghurt in the morning. I made these protein cinnamon swirl muffins a sunny day after my workout. The recipe is inspired by the cinnamon bun muffins at Comfybelly. They are super moist, yummy and propped with protein and fibre. Go bananas!
Protein cinnamon swirl muffins
For sweeteners you may use agave syrup, honey or even maple syrup. I made these dairy- and gluten- free. If you can eat milk or lactose; feel free to use normal milk!
3 dl soy milk/lactose free milk
3 medium sized eggs
0.5 dl Agave syrup
0.5 dl lactose free/soy heavy cream
1 pinch of salt
145 grams blanched almond flour
35 grams soy flour (or rice flour if you can take the carbs)
0.5 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon grounded cinnamon
4 tablespoons agave syrup
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
1 tablespoon grounded cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees celsius. Blend the dry ingredients. Whisk the eggs to a bright yellow colour, add agave syrup and milk. Blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix the batter, so all clumps disappear. Let the batter rest a couple of minutes.
- For the filling: Melt the coconut oil/butter and agave syrup toghter, add the cinnamon.
- Fill approximately 12 muffins forms with the batter. Make a hole with the end of a spoon and add some of the filling. Mix the batter carefully with the end of a spoon, so that the filling spreads a little bit.
- Put the muffins into the preheated oven, and put them in the middle of the oven. Bake for 20-25 mins. Use a toothpick to check if you get any batter on the stick or take one muffin out and check it if you are not sure, before you take them all out. Cool off a little bit.
- Mix confectioners sugar and some drops of water until a nice consistence. On the ones you are eating now, add some glazing on top. If you want them less sweet, and more casual you could go with them bare. I definitively recommend the glazing, and I prefer serving it on the side (as in the photo on top)! The muffins are good to freeze, and easily heated up again in the oven or microwave.
- The superfood fact about cinnamon is that it is helping to stabilize the bloodsugarlevel, and hence fights craving which the ups and downs in bloodsugarlevel can give. In addition it is stuffed with antioxidants that fight free radicals.
- Each muffin contain 9 grams protein.
- The high protein and fibre content in the muffins make these a perfect snack, treat or even as breakfast.