Clean and Healthy lemon meringue pie
Recently I have been eating a lot of lemons. No, it is not because I am too sweet (guess you figured that out!), it is simply because lemons are an easy and “no-fuss” way to detox your body. I start my day with half a lemon in the morning in a cup of luke warm water (and I use a straw, just like a kid, to protect my tooth enamel frm the lemons acidity). It boosts my immunity, as I simply do not have time to be sick. Lemons are propped with vitamin C, which boosts collagen production, and therefore strengthens the skin and is anti- aging. It also support for the body (which is good) and boosts healthy fibres (pectin). For an additionl collagen boost for my skin, I even use products with Vitamin C on my skin. The products I use daily with Vitamin C is Skin Energetic from Biotherm, and from The Body shop; Vitamin C microdermabrasion (addicted to!), Vitamin C energizing spray, Vitamin C eye duo cream/gel and Vitamin C skin reviever.
But enough about that, let’s talk CAKE!
As it is soon Valentines day I wanted to compose something special that I normally do not make, out of my comfort zone.
1. Heartshaped cakes 2. Cakes without chocolate. Why? I normally do not make this because:
1. I prefer “no-fuss” baking. 2. I love chocolate (Check out my Valentines day chocolate give away!).
But this clean and healthy lemon meringue pie is actually all I could ask for, as it is so easy to make, SO Mr. chocolate you got a competitor. Hopefully it is what your Valentine is asking for too. And hopefully your healthy lemon meringue pie heart won’t be broken as mine (se photo of the broken heart all the way to the bottom. Luckily I made 2 hearts!) If you’re in doubt you could always go safe with the Healthy banana pudding cake. All boys and girls like bananas, right? This clean and healthy lemon meringue pie is so fresh and just melts in your mouth. If this clean and healthy lemon meringue pie is not enough for you, be sure to take part in the Valentines day chocolate give away and be able to win some super romantic chocolate from Hotel Chocolat.
Healthy lemon meringue pie
This cake is simply sexy, but unsinful as it is propped with nutrients, but still tastes like heaven! In addition to be a gluten- free lemon meringue pie and dairy-free lemon meringue pie, it is definitively a clean and healthy lemon meringue pie.
100 g oatmeal flour
50 g Extra virgin coconut oil
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Acacia honey
1 pinch salt
Lemon curd filling
3 dl squeezed lemon juice (about 4-5 lemons)
1 cup water
0.75 dl acacia honey
3 egg yolks
20 g coconut flour (about 2 tablespoons)
1 level teaspoons psyllium husk
1-2 tablespoons lemon zest finraspet
1 pinch salt
4 egg whites
1 dl acacia honey
1 tablespoon water
½ tablespoon lemon juice
1 pinch salt
- Pie crust: Put all ingredients in a food processor and run short, to smooth paste. Dress cake pans with parchment paper, and press the pie dough down. Place the molds in the freezer for 15 min. Bake for 15 minutes in oven at 175 degrees.
- Lemon curd filling: Press the lemons and pour through the strainer. Put the wet ingredients in a saucepan, stir in the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Warm up. Take off the heat. Add the egg yolks and egg one at a time while stirring vigorously. Heat over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Meringue: Whip the egg whites and other ingredients whites.
- The finish: Pour the lemon filling over the finish bottoms. Cover with white meringue, be sure to cover all the way to the end. Bake the pies for about 8-10 minutes at 160 degrees in oven. The meringue should be light golden. You can also use a gasburner if you have, but be careful. Remove and allow to cool.
Nutritional info (grams) per portion Healthy lemon meringue pie (6 portions): 323 kcal(when 8 portions: 235 kcal) – Carbohydrates 37- Fibre 1,5- Protein 9,4- Fat 14.
- The oatmeal in the pie crust contains healthy soluble fibres named beta glucans, which may lower the cholesterol, and also supports satiety. Coconut flour and psyllium husk boosts additonal fiber content in the Healthty lemon meringue pie.
- The Extra Virgin Coconutoil contains healthy fats and antioxidants. To burn fat, the body need fat. The cells in the body also need an amount of healthy fat to do their best work.
- The Acacia honey added to the recipe makes the Healthy Lemon meringue pie all clean, and has a much lower glycemic index that refined sugar. This makes the blood sugar much more stable.
- The Healthy lemon meringue pie boosts almost 10 grams of protein per slice, which your muscles will love. This is circa the same amount as half a chicken breast.
You will also find a norwegian version of this recipe and more in my new column (!), in the healthy and sporty magazine Det Nye Shape Up which is published in Norway.
Have a wonderful weekend and happy baking!