I am completely crazy about ice- cream. It does´t matter what season it is. I crave for it independently of any season. When I was a kid my favorite mix was pistachio and chocolate. Now it is espresso and chocolate, and I prefer italian gelato. The italian gelato contains mostly milk, and hence is lighter and more airy in its consistence. Do not ask me what I have for breakfast when I am in Italy..!
Spicy chocolate gelato with coffee
I decided to try to make a gelato with some of my favorite flavorings; chili, chocolate and espresso. If you want it more child- friendly; just remove the chilis and add some vanilla instead. I also wanted to make an ice- cream that everyone can eat: It is for that reason without eggs, and hence vegan- and allergy friendly if you use soy- milk products, and also lactose- free. I was actually surprised when I found out that the no- eggs version was definitively competitive with the one I made with eggs. So creamy! And the best of all; it is super- duper easy to make as you just throw it all into one casserole. A no- fuzz ice-cream that everyone can eat!
1.5 dL black coffee, strongly brewed
1.5 dL double cream (soy milk/lactose-free/regular)
7.0 dL milk (soy milk/lactose-free/regular)
100 grams (1 dL) cocoa powder, good quality
100 grams (1 dL) coconut sugar/ unrefined sugar ex. Muscovadosugar
3 tablespoons cornflour (“Maisenna” in Norway)
1 pinch chili powder
2 pinches salt
5-7 drops rum essence (or other desired flavor)
- Pour the wet ingredients into a medium casserole. Turn on low heat.
- Add the dry ingredients, while you are stirring with a steel whisk. Make sure the blend is smooth.
- Boil the smooth blend for ca. 30 seconds until it thickens, while stirring all the time.
- Cool down, while stirring occasionally so that there is no layer (“snerp”) on top. I just threw the casserole out in
the snow, but you can also put it in the fridge.
- When completely cooled down, put everything into a ice-cream machine for approximately 30 mins. If you are not eating the chocolate gelato immediately; Put the processed gelato- blend in an airtight container, in the freezer, and give it a good stir occasionally. If you do not have an ice-cream machine, put it in the freezer directly, in an airtight container, and then stir every half hour or so, beating out the ice- crystals, to make sure they don´t ruin your delicious chocolate gelato!
When serving it from the freezer allow it to soften in the fridge for 30 mins, or room temperature for 20 mins before digging in.
- Chili contains capsaicin that is said to be good for the heart and blood circulation. It is also said to be stimuliating for
the metalolism, good for the immunesystem and digestion.
- The low content of double cream, and high content of milk makes the ice- cream low in fat.