A perfect Pavlova recipe with a healthy twist? YES! Pavlova is Australias national cake, and Pavlova is also according to me the perfect summer cake. Norways national day is coming up on the 17th of May, and this is the cake I will serve my guests.
As it happens Pavlova is also one of my complete favourite cakes at the moment. Here is why:
- Pavlova is the perfect summer cake, so fresh and yummy! And Oh; the berries.
- Pavlova is actually SIMPLE to make. I promise! (just follow my Pavlova– tips below)
- Pavlova has that WOW- factor. Everyone gets quite impressed by a Pavlova (a huge bonus)!
- This perfect pavlova recipe yields two Pavlovas or one big one (I prefer to make two; one Pavlova to give away, and one to keep).
- The Pavlova cake (without the cream and topping) will last for a long time as long as it is kept dry (se tip below).
That is why I had to do some serious experimenting, and the result is my version of the perfect pavlova recipe, and as it happens it is in addition a much more healthy version!
The perfect Pavlova recipe, produces a Pavlova cake that is perfectly crispy on the outside, soft inside, and finally melts perfectly in my mouth. I prefer my perfect Pavlova cake not to be too sweet, but that the freshness of the fresh berries and fresh cream is prominent (so I can have another piece!) . This fresh and healthy version of Pavlova contains half the amount of sugar than the original Pavlova, and the cream on top contains less fat. And believe me, I made two versions and they tested out on guests unless they knew what was what!
As I said my healthy version of the perfect pavlova recipe contains much less sugar (50%), but I promise you that it is even better than the classic one with 100% sugar. I would not recommend switching the granulated sugar in this recipe for liquid sweeteners such as honey or acacia syrup, as it won’t be as succsessful (believe me; I tried..).
When creating The perfect Pavlova it is particularly important that the egg whites are room temperated, and as always when making a meringue; NO traces of the egg yolk. Another trick to get the perfect Pavlova recipe right is whisking the eggwhites on low speed in the beginning, and then you can speed the whisk up a bit towards the end.
The berries on Pavlova gives body mass antioxidants, which can fight both the spring cold and in addition fight free radicals in your body. The perfect Pavlova recipe is healthier, and also naturally gluten-free, and if you additionally want a lactose-free version you can use dairy whipped cream.
The perfect Pavlova recipe – simple and healthy
This is a healthy and simple version of the perfect pavlova recipe contains much less sugar (50%), but you would never guess it. Naturally gluten- free and lactose-free, so that all of your guests are able to enjoy it. YUM!
125 grams granulated sugar
4 egg whites (room temperate)
1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Cream and topping
300 grams quark/greek yoghurt (with added taste; passion fruit, lime or vanilla)
3 decilitres whipping cream (soy/lactose-free/regular)
2 tablespoons acacia honey or granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, only seeds
Fresh berries (topping)
- Make sure the egg whites are room temperate before starting. Beat egg whites at low speed in a mixer with the whisk.
- Add the granulated sugar and whip the egg whites and sugar completely stiff. To see if they are stiff enough, try to turn the bowl upside down, they will not run out (or check with a whisk that the merengue form stiff peaks). Turn in the white wine vinegar with a spatula, carefullt at last.
- Form either two bases or one large base on a parcementpaper. Bake at 160 degrees celcius in the middle of the oven for about 60 minutes. Check in after approximately 50 mins. The bottoms should be lightly golden.
- Cool down on wire rack.
- Whip the cream light and airy, turn the quark/greek yoghurt and vanilla seeds to finish.
- Spread the cream on the cake, usually just before it’s served, and sprinkle fresh berries or other fruit on top.
If you will not use the the perfect Pavlova base right away stands the well, just make sure to store it in a dry and dark place.
Good luck, and to all the norwegians; Happy National day! Enjoy the Pavlova!